St. Matthew’s Worthing: Mission Action Plan 2016
For 2016 our Mission Action Plan is having a major revamp. We are changing our logo and strapline “GROW” to emphasize discipleship. This does not mean we will change from the aim of being a missionary church. On the contrary, the purpose of emphasizing discipleship is to make people good role models for outreach and service. The strapline and logo are still being developed. However it may be something as simple as “Being and making disciples”. At the same time the MAP continues to have a summary of church initiatives and activities, how they are progressing and how they need to change. It is no longer under the “GROW” structure but rather (for now at least) putting everything together.
Major initiatives for 2016
The greatest initiative is the reformulation of our direction. There is no longer a vision day at the APCM but an away day for the whole church on Sunday June 12th. Meanwhile the long-standing projects are also developing and hopefully will reach a conclusion this year.
- The away day and the switch to a focus on being and making disciples
- Outreach in Victoria Park, through the God Club and the Living Room House Group
- Working out ways of working after Mary Parish’s retirement
There is a continuation of the projects from last year (always seen as 2-year projects). However there are changes in detail as these projects have progressed. In addition there is a major new evangelistic initiative.
Comments on changes to last year’s MAP and other previous initiatives
Below is an evaluation of the 2015 objectives and earlier objectives agreed by the PCC:
- Outreach courses: The Essential Belief course has led to the formation of the God Club which has seen significant spiritual progress. Other groups are also looking to outreach but not through the course.
- The Spiritual Trail (formerly Labyrinth) is under way with a new hedge and footing for the art and benches. We hope it will be showing art work by the summer.
- The plans extending the stage are agreed but we await the architect’s input.
- The Memorial Garden project has applied for a faculty and hopes to be completed by September
Our general objectives and on-going initiatives include:
1] to provide holy worship that will bring people into a closer relationship with God
2] development of the music in our services
3] to be a missionary church in outreach and social action, including
- encouragement of friendship evangelism and follow-up of newcomers to church
- continuation of St. Matthew’s Day and pre-Easter events each year.
iii. continuation of the God Club as one example of allowing seekers to have questions answered
- development of team visiting local care homes
- continuation of Matts Comedy Club
4] to encourage discipleship
- to continue to build up the house groups and provide more training for leadership.
- to continue building up the men’s work
5] further development of youth and children’s work, particularly
- youth and outreach to 11-14 y.o.s, especially through schools and the Zone
- Smalls, including especially outreach by Little Fish
- Heene School links
- Holiday club
6] development of social groups (e.g. Supper club, Tennis club, Walkabouts, Women’s group
7] development of mission support by the whole church
8] improved communication through SMM, website, notices, etc
9] continuing to monitor the built fabric and repair where necessary
10] to maintain sound finances, especially increased giving for the Youth Missioner
11] To be a safe church for children and vulnerable adults