The PCC is, with the Vicar, the governing body of the church. It is mainly formed at the Annual Parochial Church Meeting in April by election. The electors are those on the electoral roll. It is made up of 5 groups:
- The ordained and licensed staff (in our case, John, and Sara-Jane)
- One elected Reader (as we have only one, Angela Pursey is always elected unless she declines!)
- The church wardens who have legal responsibility for the church and who are elected each year. At present these are Charles Montagu and Matt Bramley
- Elected members of Deanery Synod. Deanery Synod is the body that governs Worthing Deanery and has elected members from all the parishes, who are in office for three years. Right now we have three elected people who are automatically also on PCC: Clive Purser, Al Pitcher and Jean Hanson.
- Those elected to the PCC only, renewable each year: Maureen Rackham, Ginny Santer, Phil Rugg, Angela Standen, Hannah Radbourne and Judith Slaney.
The PCC usually meets each month (except August and December) and a brief report from each meeting is published here and in St. Matthew’s Matters. The full minutes are posted in church.